February 16, 2006

Secret Pal Goodness

*attention, long pictureless post, feel free to skip unless you want to learn lots about me

Okay, so back in January I stumbled upon something called Secret Pal that a lot of people whose blogs I read participate in. I decided I wanted a SP too, but the sign-up deadline was already past. "Oh well," I thought with a sigh, "guess I'll catch it next time." But today I got an email from one of the SP hostesses and it looks like someone dropped out and they are looking for someone to fill her spot! Yay!! Double yay!! I missed out on all the fun for the first month, and we're almost done with month #2, but hey, there is still month #3! I'm super excited and can't wait to get my pal info so I can start spoiling (and getting spoiled) with all kinds of cool yarny goodness. I got the SP questionare off the website. So, because I'm bored (and avoiding all things associated with knitting and deadlines, ahem...more later) here's my answers to the SP Questionare, in case you wanted to know:
1)Are you a a yarn snob? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? No, I don't exactly avoid them, my stash mainly consists of the stuff you find at Michael's. In fact, I just started experimenting with higher-quality brands, and I've found I do love the good stuff.
2) Do you spin? Crochet? I learned to crochet when I was 8 and for a long time that's all I did, but my knowledge is limited to what my little mind retained when I was 8. As for spinning, sadly no, but maybe someday.
3) What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a needle case that my friend Dawn made for me using some really cool polka dot flannel/fleece stuff. I'll try to remember to post a pic b/c it's really cool.
4) How long have you been knitting? What you do consider your skill level to be? I've been knitting for about 1 1/2 yrs, and I'd say I'm a little intermediate, little advanced beginner.
5) Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Currently no, but I love elann.com and anything from knitpicks.com
6) What's your fave scent? (for candles, soaps, etc.) For candles, I have a slight obsession with pumpkin pie candles, specifically Yankee Candle Co.-I burn them all year round, so it smells like Thanksgiving in July at my house. For soaps, I'm not really picky, but I like floral-y stuff as opposed to musky stuff.
7) Do you have a sweet tooth? Fave candy? God, yes! I love lots of candy. Suprisingly, chocolate isn't my favorite. I like fruity stuff with the exception of cherry-flavored things. Oh, and reese's peanut butter cups....love those.
8) What other crafts or DIY things do you like to do? Much to my husband's dismay I'm a crafty crafty girl. I like scrapbooking and beading a lot, and I've also dabbled in quilting and sewing.
9) What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3's? I have an iPod, so bring on the MP3's! I love all music. I have recently been listening to some of the music from when I was younger, like pop hits and big hair bands of the 80's. I also like country, and last night I heard a hint of classical music that I like but couldn't think of what it was called.....
10) What's your fave color? Or-do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you can't stand? Hmm...I have an obsession with pink lately, but I think it might be a phase. I wear a lot of chocolate brown and love the contrasts of brown and aqua/brown and light pink. I can't think of any colors I dislike, but I should mention that I can't STAND eyelash yarn like fun fur. I majorly OD'ed on it when I first started knitting and I loath the sight of it. Blech!
11) What is your family sitation? Do you have any pets? I'm a newlywed! Just got married to the love of my life on Sept 17th, 2005. We are the proud parents of two adorable pit bulls. Don't buy into the stereotype, they are sweet. Well, most of the time.
12) Do you wear: scarves, hats, mittens, or ponchos? Yes, yes, yes and yes. I've made several scarves, ponchos, and mittens, but strangely never a hat. Hmm.... next project maybe?
13) What is/are your fave yarns to knit with? Well, as I've mentioned I'm a bit of a newbie to the fab yarns. I'm currently using Peruvian alpaca from elann.com and I love it. I like soft yarns (who doesn't?) that knit up well. I've used mostly chunky yarns and a few worsted weight yarns, but never anything tiny.
14) What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Oops, jumped the gun on the furry yarn bashing. Seriously though, some novelty yarns are nice, but I prefer the yarns that will stay in style. I got some Lion Brand Moonlight Mohair that I made a poncho with. It's really pretty, but I find I don't wear it b/c it sheds so much.
15) What is/are your current knitting obsessions? I'm obsessed with starting new things! I'm obsessed with the idea of knitting something pink and brown. Anything.
16) What is/are your fave items to knit? I don't really have a fave. I just like knitting. I can say I'm not a huge fan of afghans b/c they take too freakin' long to finish and I'm a results girl...love my finished objects. Funny though, I never seem to make it that far....
17) What are you knitting right now? Tubey! (for the knitting olympics) Also on the needles: a baby sweater for a friend, a sweater for my husband, and a sweater for my mom.
18) Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes! I can't recall every receiving a hand-knit item. My sister and mom have each crocheted me blankets, but I don't beleive anyone has knit me anything.
19) Do you prefer straights or circular needles? I find each has their place, but circs are more portable.
20) Bamboo, aluminum, or plastic? Never plastic, but I like bamboo for DPNs and some straights (like smaller needles) and aluminum for circs and larger straights. I'm lusting after a pair of turbos, but haven't been able to muster the will to buy them.
21) Do you own a ball winder or a swift? Not currently. I'm trying to convince my husband that in our new house I should have my own knitting room and that those are essential tools I need to invest in. He's not sold.
22) How did you learn to knit? I taught myself from a "I Taught Myself Knitting!" book that came in a kit from Michael's. It took several attempts and a lot of patience but I did it.
23) How old is your oldest UFO? Well, if you count crochet I have a blanket I've been working on since I was 15, so 10 years. Knitting only, probably the sweater I started for my husband. I got the front and back done and can't seem to get the momentum to get through the sleeves. Started sometime this past summer.
24) What is your fave animated character or a fave animal? I like Spongebob, but only in moderation. I don't want my house to resemble Bikini Bottom or a pineapple under the sea. I love Family Guy, and all the characters in it. As for animals, well pit bulls of course.
25) Favorite holiday? Thanksgiving! I love all the yummy food, and no pressure of presents. Also, I work in the retail business so that is the last sane day before crazy shopping season starts.
26) Is there anything you collect? Movies. I worked a Blockbuster for 3 years so I have a huge collection. Other than that, just the obvious: yarn, knitting books, needles, etc.
27) What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Family circle easy knitting is the only one that comes in the mail, but I try to buy Vogue Knitting, Knit 1, and Simply Knitting as soon as they come out. I've never tried Interweave Knits or any or the other more advanced ones. ps. I'd love a copy of the old Vogue knitting that featured a strappy tank on the cover...it's from sometime in 2004 which was my pre-knitting days.
28) Any books, yarns, needles, or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? Nothing in particular I guess. I'd really like to learn to knit socks, so a good beginner sock book and sock yarn/needles I guess. I'm also really into knitting sweaters right now (as soon as I complete one) so good sweater yarn is always appreciated.
29) Any new techniques you'd like to learn? See #28
30) Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Again, see #28 and as for foot measurements, I can't find my tape measure so I'll tell you I'm a size 6 1/2 or 7 and my foot isn't abnormally narrow or wide. Just normal.
31) LAST ONE! When is your bday? November 15th

Don't you feel like you know all too well now? I can't focus on Tubey...it feels like a deadline rather than a fun thing. Grrr....I hate that I lack focus sometimes. I'm going to try to force myself to knit. Must.....finish.....first....sleeve.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the deadlines! My project is actually not bad to knit, but I've been stalling on it. However, true-to-form, I'm picking up steam as the deadline approaches!