July 19, 2007

Argh...

So there is good news and there is bad. The good is that I have finished sock number one of my sockapalooza socks!
The bad news is.....

I'm more than a little mifed about this. These are (were) my brand new fancy-pants ebony sock needles from Lantern Moon (? I think ?). They are called Sox Stix and come in a fancy silk drawstring bag. I paid a hefty price for these sleek little needles. When I first starting using them I immediately didn't care for them. I think they aren't pointy enough...it's hard to get into the stitches on my ssk, and other stitches. But....they sure did show off my sock yarn beautifully. It made it super easy to see the light colored yarn compared to how it looks against my old standby bamboo needles. Plus, they just felt nicer against my hands. Sleeker, smoother, finer. Yet, I wasn't even done with the ribbing of sock #2 before one of them snapped in half. Now, admittedly I hold my needles pretty tightly and usually all of my bamboo needles warp eventually. But c'mon....they can't even make it through a whole pair of socks? Not worth the money! I am going to try to return them this weekend, but the store where I bought them is one of those stores. You know the ones....they probably will turn their noses up at me when I show them the broken DPN.

Sigh....

All is well though, I've got my trusty bamboo needles.

3 comments:

Calling on Kahlo said...

Oh! Learn the magic loop. I love it! I don't hate DPN, but I think it is the coolest thing ever which you can use on hats and sleeves.

Anonymous said...

You know, I bought a set of Lantern Moons and *loved* them, until two of them broke during the first pair of socks I used them for! Darn their sleek, pretty wood-ness! I won't buy them again, just too pricey. If they stayed in one piece, I would totally support Lantern Moon, though - they are a nice company.

I like the magic loop sometimes, but I really dig the typewriter action on DPNs. Weird.

Diane said...

I would contact the company and see if they will send you a few replacement needles. I haven't used Latern Moon needles, but I was using brittany birch in size 1 or 0 and two of them snapped in half on me. When I contacted the company, they sent me three replacement needles for free. It is worth a shot. If the company doesn't respond, try the shop where you bought them. Your sock looks great!