May 15, 2008

Sock Wars

What have I been doing for the past 5 days? I will tell you. I have been working on creating a deadly weapon.



This may or may not be a picture that is recent. Just in case my victim happens across my blog I will keep it a secret as to whether or not I am finished making my weapon.



Ok, so for those of you scratching your head, let me explain. I am talking about Sock Wars. Basically it is modeled after the game "Assassin". It's a little difficult to explain, but everyone who signed up was given a "target" to knit socks for. The person you are knitting socks for is knitting them for someone else, not you...it's a circle. When you receive your socks, you have been "killed". You then send your socks in progress to your assassin along with your Target's info. Your assassin then picks up where you left off and your Target becomes their new Target. Make sense? I know...totally confusing. I'm not even sure I totally understand it, but I am having fun. My hands and shoulders are sore from all the knitting. I am just hoping that my assassin is knitting VERY slowly so I can stay in the game for a while! The winner (last one left standing) will receive 60 balls of sock yarn (Tofutsies) from Southwest Trading Company . People. 60 balls! What in the world would I do with 60 balls? I don't think I could knit 60 pairs of socks in this lifetime!

Speaking of SWTC, let me relate to you a wonderful tale of excellent customer service. I encountered four knots in my yarn while making my socks. There was a discussion on Ravelry about similar situations so I commented that I really liked the yarn, but the knots were a little frustrating. Within TEN MINUTES of posting that I received a message from the co-owner of SWTC asking for my mailing address so they could send me a replacement ball, totally on them!! I was blown away, I mean...to offer a replacement ball is outstanding enough, not to mention that I was simply posting to a discussion, not complaining to the company or anything! WOW!

As if that wasn't enough for one day, I wrote a quick email to Lantern Moon about a set of needles that I bought last summer. It was a set of ebony sock needles that I splurged on, and on the very first sock I ever knit I broke two of the DPNs. I was bummed but figured I could exchange them without a problem. Uh-uh. No receipt, no exchange. Period. I will not mention the store that gave me such an issue, but if you knit and live in Charlottesville you can probably guess. I didn't think much about it again until the other day when I saw the remaining three lonely needles. I decided to write the company and see if they would be able to do anything for me. The same day I got an email back and they are going to send me two replacement needles for the two that snapped. :)

Lots of good vibes in the universe for me today!

No comments: