May 3, 2006

Secret Pal 8 is starting!

Still computer-less, so I'm borrowing blog time again. No pictures to show you, but I haven't been knitting lately so the only pictures I could present would be of empty boxes and half-unpacked items everywhere. It doesn't look like I'm going to get this lace tank finished in time for this weekend, but I'm not giving up yet. I'm concerned with wearing it this weekend anyway, being that it's supposed to rain and be a bit chilly and a lacy cotton tank doesn't really fit the bill. I will wear something handmade, even if it's only a scarf. I'm willing myself to turn into Superknitter and cast on for the Green Gable tonight and finish in time for Saturday. Sadly, I don't see this as more than a knitting fantasy. I received all my info for the Dye-o-rama swap and got an email from my swap pal-I have a lot of dyeing to do-PS Yarn Swap pal, Bethiee's winning yarn, and Dye-o-rama swap yarn. Whew! Now, if I could only remember which box holds my kool-aid stash and dyeing supplies....

As if all that wasn't enough to keep me busy, SP8 is beginning. I am SOOO excited for this swap. Some of you may remember that I posted a questionaire for SP7 a while back to potentially be an angel, but that never came to fruition. This go-round though, I'm a 100% participating member and couldn't be more thrilled. So without further ado, here's all you ever needed to know about me:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I seriously dislike eyelash yarns, I OD'ed on them when I first started knitting and was cranking out fun fur scarfs by the dozen. Other than that, I've become a bit of a yarn snob as of late and don't really care for acrylic. I have some Lorna's Lace that I'm looking forward to knitting with, it seems really soft. I also just knit a sock (then frogged it) with some worsted weight ArtYarns Supermerino and I loved that yarn.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
For my straights I have a roll-up case that a friend made for me. For my DPN's I have a mini version of that roll-up that I made. My circulars, sadly just roll around and the bottom of my bag as I have yet to find something to store them in. (side note: I just realized that my DPN roll-up has yet to grace the blog and it is something orangeish that I sewed in relation to Project Spectrum. photos to come soon)

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I guess I'm an intermediate knitter. I've done cables, some very basic lace, completed one sweater and one pair of socks, and a smattering of scarves and ponchos and bags. I've been knitting for just over 2 years and I'm self-taught from a "Teach yourself to knit" book I found at Michael's.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do. https://www.knitpicks.com/cart/wishlistview.asp
(I hope that comes up-it's a pretty basic wish list)

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love pumpkin-scented candles, unfortunately they are hard to find this time of year. I also like things that smell clean like Yankee Candle's Clean Linen and such. For bath products I like fruity things, especially citrus.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Who doesn't? I love chocolate and peanut butter combos like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I also have an obesession with the root beer flavored Bottle Caps candy, but not the other flavors just root beer. I often pick through them and eat only the root beer and that annoys the crap out of Doug, who also loves the root beer ones. :) I also really like sweetarts.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I scrapbook, and do a little sewing and beading. One of the things I'm looking at buying this weekend at Maryland Sheep & Wool is a drop spindle so I can try spinning without too much of a committment.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like all music, especially reggae. I got married in Jamaica and have always had an affection for the gentle rhythms of reggae music. On the other end of the spectrum, I really like country, so really all music is great. I do have the ability to play MP3's.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I really like colors that contrast well with a chocolate brown. I'd say that's my favorite color except I don't like it that much on it's own, just when another color compliments it (like aqua, robins egg blue, pink, etc.) I also discovered through Project Spectrum that I really like warm yellows. There are no colors I dislike.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm recently married (still technically a newlywed I think) to a wonderful guy. We have two loveable pit bulls who are 3 and 3.5 years old that we got from the SPCA.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
All of the above.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Recently it's been socks. I have a huge obsession with DPN's, sock yarn, and sock patterns. I've only completed one pair of socks and right now I'm slowly chugging away on a sock for my husband's size 13 feet. I've also been looking at a lot of t-shirt/tank top patterns but haven't completed one yet.

13. What are you knitting right now?
In my knitting basket I currently have a lace tank that is nearly complete, a start of one sock that is for my husband, a baby sweater for a friend, and the very beginning of Green Gable.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer knitting on circs most of the time because they are easier to transport, and I love my one pair of addi turbos. I really want to invest in more sizes because right now if a pattern doesn't call for US 6's I skip over it until I find something I can use my turbos on. I really don't like plastic needles, but I'll use bamboo every once in a while.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No, but I just acquired my very own craft room so it is high on my list of things I want to get for the room.

17. How did you learn to knit?
Self-taught, see #3.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
I have a crochet afghan that I've been working on since high school, but I doubt I'll ever finish it, so it doesn't count. In knitting, I have a sweater for my husband that I've been working on for about a year.

19. What is your favorite holiday?
I love Thanksgiving. My husband and I both work in retail so that is the last day of the year that we can spend together without the hustle bustle of all the shoppers. It's like the calm before the storm.

20. Is there anything that you collect?
I have a pretty impressive shot glass collection. I've always made it a point to get a shot glass from every place I ever visit. (I wonder if they'll have shot glasses at MDS&W....) Aside from that, and the obvious yarn, patterns, and needles, I have a ton of shoes and purses, but I guess that's pretty normal.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
There are two books that I'm lusting after....Mason-Dixon Knitting and Vogue Knitting's Stitch Dictionary. Mason-Dixon becaue I've heard such wondeful things about all over the blogs, and the Stitch Dictionary because it seems like such a good reference book. I think they just put out Vol. 2-Cables and that's the one I'd be more likely to buy because I love texture like cables in my knitting. As for yarn, whew, that's a loaded question. There's a ton of yarn out there I'd love to have. I've been admiring some of the pretty colors that Cherry Tree Hill has in their sock yarn, and I don't think I've ever been in a yarn store without seeking out and petting the Muench Touch Me yarn.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'm a fairly new lace knitter, and I'd like to learn some pretty lace patterns. Aside from that, there is one very basic technique I'm embarrased to admit I've never tried. Not that it looks particularly complicated, but usually at this point in my knitting I'm so desparate to try the item on and wear it....well, the thing is.....I've never done blocking before! I know, for shame, right? But I can't ever wait to wear the item and show it off. That's one reason I'd like to try a lace shawl, so I can try blocking and see the magic happen.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yep, obsessed sock knitter. I wear a size 6 1/2 shoe.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
11/15

If you've made it this far, congratulations. If you've made it this far and you also read the other version of this I posted back in Jan/Feb, mega-congratulations!

Happy Knitting everyone, and I'll see you at MDSW!

No comments: