May 9, 2007

Modest

This is my vey modest yarn haul form this past weekend's Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. I went with a very specific budget and I religiously stuck to it. Well.....maybe not too religiously. I think my food consumption was also supposed to stay within the budget, but we just won't speak of that. I forgot my camera in the car so I have no MDSW pics to offer you, only one of the stash aquisition. I did run into Lolly in line at the Tess booth. I went on Sunday, day 2, so I know I missed a lot of bloggers and a lot of crowds. I was less interested in waiting in line for the "good" yarns, and more about the experience of going, so I'm glad I went on Sunday instead of Saturday. I'm not even sure if there was any kind of blogger meet-up this year though. I didn't hear it mentioned on any blogs prior to the Festival.



The yarn is a skein of "Spectrum Colors Yarn" (appropriate, no?) in a beautiful autumn leaves color. Okay, so maybe I'm crazy but I am planning a pair of socks with this yarn. The weight is about right, the yardage is about right, it's just the fiber content I'm worried about. It is 100% silk. Has anyone made socks with silk before? I swear I'm crazy but I looooove the colorway. I was thinking of making the embossed leaves pattern from Interweave.


The book is an older Rowan magazine with some cute summer knits in it. I was especially drawn to the lace beaded slip dress on the cover. We'll see how that turns out. I've only knit one lace item in my life and I've never done anything with beads. Besides all that, my finishing rate for wearable items is low, especially a full body garment. But, think positive, right? It will have to be on the back burner for a while since I am currently so taken with miters! I just finished my sixth square today (sorry no pic) and need to run out tomorrow for some more purple yarn to make square number seven.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun time . . . love the color of the silk . . . never used silk before i'm sure whatever you make with it will be beautiful. Secret Pal . . . wrapping up another package for you :)

Anonymous said...

I have been working on your SP package and am planning on sending it out sometime tomorrow. I know sometimes I over do it but I love buying for others and seeing lovely comments on blogs :) Hope your having a great day. Secret Pal